Sustainable Job Prospects for Business Students
There is a demand for employees and business leaders who know what sustainability is and understand its complexity, approach to problems and solutions, and know how to work with and draw from different disciplines.
- Graduate and Undergraduate business graduates may assume positions in industry, consultancy, utilities, regulatory agencies, non-profits, non-governmental organizations or government, independent “green” businesses, Computer systems, communications, environmental management, architecture, planning, design, construction, non-profit organizations, media/marketing, parks and recreation, horticulture, agriculture, hospitality industry, travel and tourism, etc.
- Recent interest in sustainability within business and government has created new employment opportunities in the field.
- By engaging a breadth of knowledge and experience, and by acquiring the skills to integrate various domains of knowledge, sustainability students prepare themselves for a variety of careers to help find solutions to challenges having to do with biodiversity and habitats, organizational change, climate, economy and society, energy, materials and technology, governance and policy, international development, urbanization, and water.
Types of Positions Related to Sustainable Business
Project Coordinator/Leader, Corporate Social Reesponsibility,Project Manager, Sustainability Officer, Sustainability Analyst,Sustainable Design, Sustainability Coordinator, Environmental Research Assistant,Sustainability Consultant, Energy Efficiency Analyst, Operations Manager, Policy maker,Development Specialist, Resource Manager, Environment Technician, Sustainable.Management Consultant, Social Impact Assessor, Policy Manager, Appraiser, Training Coordinator, Procurement, Operations Manager, Environmental Educator, Business Analyst, LEED Specialist, Auditor, Green marketer and communications, Green Purchasing and operations, Green Technologist
Recommended “soft” skills
- Presentation and strong communications skills
- Editing and proofreading
- Ability to project manage and handle multiple tasks/deadlines
- Knowledge of design software and graphic design
- Resourceful, Self starter, highly industrious and intuitive
- Able to work effectively in a team environment
- Effective interpersonal and public relations skills
- Problem solving, critical thinking and conflict management skills
- Experience fundraising, funding proposals and management
- Strong negotiation skills, powerful with words
- Ability to build partnerships and business relationships
- Strong delegation and leadership skills
- Administrative, technical and organization skills
- Experience working with multicultural communities, diverse populations and volunteers
Local and International Job Search Web Sites